See our new video and recipe for marijuana infused schmaltz!
Schmaltz is wonderful for baking... or just spread it on some challah and you got a schmaltz sandwich! Yum!
How to infuse your schmaltz with marijuana? Read on to find out...
We recommend two different ways of infusing Schmaltz. The distillate method and the flower method.
But first... what do you need?
40mg of cannabis distillate**- check your product packaging to determine how much this is, or approx. 0.04 milliliters
Cannabis flower if you are using the flower method of infusion. (see video for details)
¼ cup schmaltz
The distillate method:
This is the most simple method for infusion. It also is a great way to be very exact on how much cannabis is being infused into your schmaltz.
1. Place your schmaltz into a microwave safe bowl, and microwave until liquid, about 20 seconds.
2. Add your cannabis distillate into the shmaltz and stir until fully dissolved. If your distillate does not dissolve, you can place the mixture back in the microwave for an additional 20-30 seconds. Don’t overheat.
3. Once fully dissolved, let your schmaltz come down to room temperature, or place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
The flower method
1. Take your cannabis flower and break it into small pieces. Put these pieces into a cannabis grinder.
2. Grind it up until there is no more resistance.
(Note: If you use an electric grinder, be carful not to grind too small or it will be problematic when you have to strain it out later.)
3. Sprinkle the ground cannabis flower onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake in the oven at 225°F for 45 minutes.
(Note: This is important! This is the process of activating the cannabis.)
5. Combine now activated cannabis and the schmaltz into a double boiler bowl.
6. Turn on double boiler at low heat and stir until the schmaltz has become a liquid.
7. Now wait! And not just a little time... a long time! We recommend 4 hours. And no, you do not have to stir the entire time. Just keep a watchful eye on it all for safty.
The longer you wait, the more of the cannabis active ingredients will infuse into the schmaltz. If you only wait 30 minutes not much of the cannabis will infuse. We know 4 hours seems like a long time... but this is science. So read a book, learn to play an instrument, brows some YouTube videos... but wait!
8. After 4 hours, remove the schmaltz from the stove and let cool. You can put it in the fridge for an hour or two and it should solidify back into its regular hardened schmaltz state.
And that's it! You are ready to use it. If you are looking for a good recipe to use it with, check out our Marijuana Matzaball recipe at: https://youtu.be/fn3kOaJLjAo
From the whole High Holiday Cooking team, enjoy!